Wednesday 12 September 2018

Adventuring and How it Helped My Writing


I don't know how anyone could write a story without going on one adventure in their lifetime.

From personal experience alone I believe that is vital to live life in order to write a book.

We can read books and we can watch movies, but how are we to be inspired to write without going out and seeing the world.

I am sure that different writers gain inspiration in different ways. Some may just need to read a book and have an amazing idea.

I learned that just doesn't work for me...

I have to get down and dirty with life. I have to get in the trenches as it were.

Believe me I tried writing a story before I had really experienced anything.  I got six words for how that turned out.

It did not turn out good!

There was nothing original in it. It was parts of stories that I found interesting at the time. 

There was nothing that was my own.

With that in mind I knew that I had to experience what this world had to offer. I had to make mistakes, fall in love and lose something important to me just to name a few.

To be fair there was a lot to be said about writing that first story of mine. I learned what not to do.

In a strange way I think that is necessary. Learn what not to do. I don't know about the rest of you, but the only way I can do that is through failing. For some reason that is my tried and true way to learning how to write. That, and taking time for life of course.

Where would the Ever Frost Mountains be without the Canadian Rockies? Where would the rolling foothills of Ellom and Jonir be without the Alberta foothills? Where would the Emerald Plains be without Saskatchewan? Where would the Hinterlands be without eastern Canada?

You can see all of these places HERE.

My story would be nothing by a flat plain if it were not for travelling.

There are other experiences in life that are important as well. I talk about them HERE, but today I wanted to focus on travelling and seeing the world.

If you do nothing else but read and one other thing let it be travel.

Your writing will thank you for it.

The other reason I will always endorse travelling is to see how other people act.

 I have only really travelled in Canada and in the United States, but that does not stop the west from being different compared to the east.

In Canada there is divide between the east and the west. You pick up on it as you talk to people. That divide gets even worse when you talk to people from Quebec…

I would never have had my initial incident if Lord Rihm had not hated the west and wanted a Kingdom of his own.

My point is, is if you don't feel like you don't know what to write or if you are having a hard time. Go exploring even just around town. You might be surprised what you will find.

That's the thing it doesn't need to be some big cross country tip. Just go out side your front door. Go have fun, do what you love.

The biggest thing that I do to go on little mini adventures is I go hiking.

It gets me out in the world and its close to home and not expensive.

Those are like three of my favorite things all rolled into one...

Anyways, I'm rambling now.

Get out there and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment